Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Love for Northern California

I can't say enough great things about Northern California! I may be bias because I was born and raised in the bay area.  I always long for home,the California sunshine and crisp air! My husband and I drove around the different areas trying to get an idea of where we want to live this fall.  There were so many areas to discover, but I can say that the highlight of this trip was meeting two important influences in the design world.  First, I had Lattes with Grant Gibson of Grant Gibson Design at Citizen Cake.  Grant has a very giving heart, great advice, and was so down to earth. I first read about him when he was doing a showroom in the  first Elle Decor Showhouse in SF last year.   In 2009 Domino selected Gibson as one of "10 Designers to Watch," and in 2010, ELLE DECOR named Gibson as one of "5 Designers to Watch." I failed to take a picture with him, but he was generous enough to fit me in his busy schedule I didn't want to act like the paparazzi.  Although, i really wanted to, but I know I will meet him again so I decided to slip my camera in my pocket.  I sat with him for an hour and heard his life story, and I learned that he comes from a family of very creative people.  The second highlight of my day was meeting with Crystal Gentilello, founder and editor of RUE magazine and the voice behind the blog Plush Palate.  I met Crystal at Spruce over a glass of Pinot and we talked about all the things we loved and had in common.  She too was very down to earth and sweet.  When you meet someone for the first time you can pick up their energy and their vibe, and her energy was very positive and passionate, which made me a passionate person already very inspired. Crystal and I seemed to have hit if off, we had the same energy and hunger for life and the things we love in it.  We shared our life experiences and how we got to where we are today. It was a pleasure to meet Crystal and spend some time with her, and I am looking forward to hanging out with her when I move to the city!                                                                                                            
OH NAPA! Will i ever get sick of you?  One day I'm going to have to do a long post on it, because it is one of my most favorite places in the world! How can it not...... great food, wine, design,art, the scenery, weather, and usually i'm with wonderful company. I can go on and on about all the places I've had great experiences at, but this time I'd like to mention just a few. I stepped into my old college grounds, PUC, which I don't do all the time when I'm in the Valley, but my friends and I walked around and reminisced of all the times there, it made me nostalgic.  I forgot how beautiful the campus was. i can't believe it's been over 10 years since I've graduated from college. Then discovering Napa downtown(Napa proper) was unusual, because when I went to college we would only go down to Napa proper for Target, late night studying at Denny's, the movies, or the bowling alley.  Usually when most people talk of Napa, it is the Valley they are talking about Yountville, Oakville, Rutherford, and St. Helena.  St. Helena downtown is the place people talk about, but I have to say they have done some wonderful reconstructing to Napa downtown for instance Morimoto's new restaurant and Tyler Florence's new restaurant Rotisserie and Wine and his shop added to the existing Ubuntu, Cake Plate boutique, Model Bakery in Oxbow Public Market, Napa Roasting co.  It didn't look cheesy like most areas they try to bring up.  A friend of ours set up some private tasting at Cade and Chateau Boswell, then we went to go visit  Castello di Amorosa, which is an amazing Castle, but the wine did not match my palate. My favorite vineyard in the valley right now is Blackbird Vineyards which can be tasted at the amazing art filled building Ma(i)sonry and Swanson Vineyards, which have the most amazing tasting setup.  I am overstimulated when I am the Napa Valley because of all the spectacular, food, wine, and design and art all around! My next stop downtown St. Helena for Napa Valley Vintage Home, Footcandy, Pearl Wonderful Clothing, Jan Neimi's Flats, and my friends Marcus and Wayne who own Pennyweight and Patina. I was disappointed to find out that  Erin Martin's showroom in St. Helena was closed( I did take some pics through the window). I've been there before, but wanted to refresh my memory, but i did get a chance to see her work recently at the first Elle Decor Showhouse in SF last year, and her work was phenomenol.  Erin Martin is edgy, loud, avant garde; and I love how her work pops and makes a statement.  I wouldn't decorate my whole space with her work , but I'd definitely love to take some of her pieces and put it in my space. Oh whoops, did i say i wasn't going to go off about the Napa Valley. I better stop because I can go on for hours.


All in all it was a fantastic weekend! And i'm getting really excited about my move to the city.......

Citizen Cake on Fillmore

Johnathan Adler store on Fillmore

loving the chair pattern and colors combo
loving this wallpaper and color right now

want this table for my space
could use these stools in my living space


accents of gold could always be used

love the colorful pillows

this rug would be a great addition to a child's room


two tierd table

Crystal (from Rue) and I @ Spruce
 
OH NAPA!
Entrance to Chateau Boswell


tasting at Chateau Boswell



view from Cade

tasting room at Cade

Castello di Amorosa






our Princes @ Castella di Amorosa
 



Downtown Napa



 

Cake Plate Boutique

Tyler Florence Shop in Napa



Tyler Florence's new restaurant on Riverwalk in Napa



Morimoto's restaurant in Napa


Erin Martin in St. Helena



love the mirror


Miss you Marcus and Wayne from Patina


Miss you Marcus and Wayne from Pennyweight


Napa Valley Vintage Home






 boutique in St. Helena
 

Jan Neimi's FLATS

Footcandy in St. Helena

yum

yum

ALWAYS have to stop here!
 

3 comments:

  1. I SO have to go to Flats next time I'm in Napa (which is June - woot!). And um, all the places you mentioned.

    I want to go NOW!!!!

    I think i can taste Giugni's right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you missed tesoro, the flower shop in st helena! i work there :) next time you visit stop in...it's quite a lovely shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I not know this whole time that you hA a blog???? This is erina btw.... I feel like I am seeing a whole different side of you friend :) and how are you blogging so much at the butt crack of dawn or this late at night? Lol. Awesome

    ReplyDelete